The Rambam’s Eight Degrees Of Charity
- 1.) The highest degree is to aid a man in want by offering him a gift or a loan, by entering into partnership with him, or by providing work for him, so that he may become self-supporting.
- 2.) He who gives and he who receives are not aware of each other.
- 3.) The giver knows the recipient, but the recipient does not know the giver.
- 4.) The recipient knows the giver, but the giver does not know the recipient.
- 5.) The giver puts the money into the hands of the poor without being asked.
- 6.) The giver puts the money into the hands of the poor after being asked.
- 7.) He gives less than he should, but does so cheerfully.
- 8.) When one gives grudgingly.